Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Publishers and flabbergasters!

Last year, I completed the last chapter of Kroniikles. The climax of the book was still reverberating in the annals of my mind when I started searching for publishers. I had searched for publishers once before, almost a year ago when I thought the book was ready. I did loads of research on what a literary agent was and who a publisher was...I found out what goes into considering a proposal, I learnt that I should approach only those publishers who are willing to consider fantasy fiction as opposed to text books ( a strenuous form of prose that leaves young minds drained of all imagination!).

My search was renewed again today, instigated by a simple e-mail from a well known publishing house that they cannot entertain my work because it does not fit into their publishing profile. I was aghast and flabbergasted (if that is at all humanly possible) with good reason. Nevertheless, they have their reasons and I have my woes and thus I began to replenish the depleting stock of publishers in my database. Lo and behold I found that in India we actually have literary agents! I came across several names, smart websites et all and I proceeded with vim vigor and vitality to communicate with them.

What is the point you may well ask to this prepondering note, just that I find the face of publishing slowly changing, why there are self publishing services as well I learnt with pleasant surprise (surprise can at times be unpleasant without being shocking, like bumping into an ex-beau)!

There it goes, another attempt to perk up my resolve and to publish the work that I am very proud to have authored.
Cheerio
Vadhan

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I read your post, and I have to say this...15 publishers rejected a manuscript by e. e. cummings. When he finally got it published by his mother, the dedication, printed in uppercase letters, read "WITH NO THANKS TO . . . followed by the list of publishers who had rejected his prized offering.....lol...guess ur sailing in the same boat as Cummings did!!A person's greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time he falls...Indeed, u knew that well....The present difficulty that your encountering with is not a sign of decline or decay but a step foward towards a grand success...hope to c u in a fame that makes J.K. Rowling feel jealous of you...:)